This Church, now known as the International Church of Monrovia (ICM), began in the early 50’s as a fellowship of believers situated on the ELWA Campus, in Paynesville, Liberia, where Radio ELWA was and still is. This station, which is a ministry of ELWA (Eternal Love Winning Africa), was operated by SIM (Sudan Interior Mission). In an isolated community, the church was initially attended by missionaries and few local residents, who were mainly “campus based”. Later as roads were constructed, others communities in Paynesville, and greater Monrovia were attracted to the fellowship, which was then, the ELWA Chapel. It was loosely organized with elders elected by the congregation.
On March 29, 1978, after the first revision of the constitution, the ELWA Chapel was renamed the International Church of Monrovia (ICM); a name which reflected a diverse cultural congregation of believers from different countries.
The leadership of ICM was largely made up SIM missionaries until after the civil crisis, when Liberians began to take up more positions in the Church. At present, the leadership of the Church is made up of Liberians mostly.
ICM worshiped in the ELWA Gymnasium, up to 1996. Since the gym was frequently used for wedding receptions, concerts, etc., the adult church moved to the Junior church building (which was used for the junior church since the 80’s) in 1996, sending the junior class back to the gym. This avoided conflict in schedules and better worship environment.
Besides, the present church has become smaller for the present growing congregation and membership.
ICM is now ready for a larger edifice.
Declaration of Belief
1. The Bible is verbally inspired by the Holy Spirit in the canonical scriptures as originally given and is the inerrant and authoritative Word of God. II Tim. 3:15-17; II Pet. 1:21
2. The Triune Godhead in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; II Cor. 13:14
a. The Father, who is Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable in all His attributes. John 4:24; Ex. 34:6
b. The Son, Jesus Christ: His deity, Virgin birth, sinless life, atoning death, bodily resurrection, personal exaltation at God’s right hand, and personal return. John 1:1; Isa. 7:14; Heb. 7:26; I Cor. 15:34; Acts 1:22
c. The Holy Spirit, who is a divine Person, equal with the Father and Son and of the same nature. John 15:26
3. The personality of Satan, who is called the Devil. Rev. 20:2
4. The fall and lost estate of man, whose total depravity makes necessary the new birth. Rom. 5:12; John 3:5
5. Salvation by grace through faith in the shed blood and substitutionary death of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Tit. 3:4 – 7; Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 5:8
6. The eternal blessedness of the saved and the everlasting punishment of the lost. Matt. 25:46; Phil. 3:21
7. The church, the Bride of Christ; in its universal aspect comprising the whole body of those who have been born of the Spirit; and in its local expression established for worship, mutual edification and witness. Eph. 1:22-23; 5:25-32; Acts 15:41; 16:5
8. Christ’s great commission to into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature, making disciples; baptizing, and teaching. Matt. 28:28-20.